Society badge 4th June 2013

THE BRIDGE TRUST SOCIETY

President Mike Lax

_lg_e2784ef3-f2fa-4540-b232-fe33fcc15aee

HGS website

Screenshot 2016-10-09 14.32.39 BTOBS CC

SVP Simon Farrell

JVP .....tbc......

Join us on

facebook.com/btobs.bridgetrustsociety

th (1) 2012-12-08 21.41.12 2017-11-11 15.57.47

HGSOB FC History, by Philip Swann        

 It was in a house in Handsworth in 1893, that a small band of enthusiasts under the guidance of Johnny Kay, a master at Handsworth Grammar School, decided to form an ‘Old Boys Football Club’. Historical data is sparse but we know four captains led teams playing friendly matches with local teams and their united efforts helped the Club to survive and lay a solid foundation for the future.

 

From 1904, greater clarity exists with a more formal organisation and a wider group of opponents; indeed the Club played in the Chatrian Cup competition. A split occurred between the FA and the AFA in 1908 and HGSOBFC became a founder member of the Birmingham AFA and is the only such Club actively playing football today. No league structure was in place and so friendly matches prevailed with the only formal competition the Chatrian Cup, renamed the Senior Cup, which saw the Club as losing finalists in 1908/9. In 1922/3, the Birmingham Amateur League was founded which the Club joined creating the first league structure.

 

Until this date, matches were played on the School’s ground in Rookery Road, but now a ground was rented in Wood Lane, Handsworth Wood for the Club’s three teams. A fourth team was added in 1925/6. There was a further move to a new ground in Cherry Orchard Road in 1928/9 until, in 1934, the Club’s parent body, Bridge Trust Old Boys Society, under the driving force of Club Hon. Treasurer, Albert Lindon, purchased a 7.5 acre ground in Romilly Avenue, Handsworth Wood where the Club still plays today.

 

There are listed elsewhere dedicated officers of the Club, those who have served local and national football organisations, Club members who played for representative sides from national to local level and a list of trophies attained although, suffice it to say, the golden era of the Club was 1958 – 1968 when it fielded 13 trophy winning sides and acquired 5 runners up awards.

 

 

The Club currently runs three teams on Saturday afternoons together with a Veterans’ Team formed by players from the School, Old Boys and local community at large.